Suffering From Split Ends, Try These Effective Home Remedies
By: Pinki Sat, 27 June 2020 2:47 PM
Suffering from split ends in hair? No matter how long and thick your hair is, as long as you have split ends, it will look dull and lusterless. A split end is the splitting or fraying of the hair strand into two due to various factors. It is also known as trichoptilosis – “arrangement of feathers in definite areas”. It is called so because when splitting occurs at multiple areas along a hair strand, it looks like an arrangement of feathers. They also resemble the edge of an unravelled rope. Split ends cause your hair to break off faster and impede hair growth.
Split ends are a regularly recurring issue. Do you have to keep on trimming your hair to treat split ends? Absolutely not. Here are 5 natural DIY home remedies for split ends which strengthen your hair internally and prevent split ends from recurring again. Read on to find out more.
* Coconut Oil
Coconut oil, because of its composition, penetrates the hair very effectively. It prevents excessive water from being absorbed by the hair and thus swelling. It lubricates the shaft and prevents wear and tear of hair. The lauric acid, the primary fat of coconut oil has a high affinity towards hair proteins. Though it cannot repair the split ends, on the regular application, coconut oil decreases the reoccurrence of split ends significantly.
3-4 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Heat the coconut oil until it is lukewarm.
- Apply the coconut oil all over your scalp, massage gently with your fingertips till absorbed.
- Leave it on throughout the night.
- Wash your hair with a mild cleanser the next morning.
* Onion Juice with Castor Oil
Onion juice increases hair growth, improves hair volume, fights scalp infections and reduces split ends. Castor oil penetrates deep into the scalp effectively. It also reduces the pungent smell of onion juice and smoothens out the rough hair follicles.
1 large onion
2 teaspoons of castor oil
- Blend the onion to obtain a smooth paste. Strain the pulp and squeeze out as much juice as possible. Then, add 2 teaspoons of castor oil to the mixture.
- Massage the mixture into your scalp and leave it for 30 minutes, then rinse it out and wash your hair with a mild cleanser.
* Banana Hair Mask
Banana has excellent moisturizing properties. It is rich in vitamin B, C and potassium, which strengthen the hair follicles and improve natural elasticity of the hair. It is known to improve manageability of your hair by smoothening out rough hair follicles in conjunction with coconut milk. And it prevents split ends by avoiding damage to the hair.
1 ripe banana
1 tablespoon of coconut milk
- Take a bowl and mash the banana. Then add coconut milk and mix well to obtain a homogenous mixture.
- Apply this mixture into your scalp. Massage gently for 5-10 minutes and leave it on for 1 hour.
- Then wash as usual with a gentle cleanser.
* Egg Hair Mask
Eggs contain over 20 essential nutrients which are extremely beneficial for hair growth. The protein content in eggs is high and nourishes the follicles, and its vitamin A, D and B12 promote healthy hair growth. Egg together with coconut oil and honey deep moisturizes the hair to get rid of split ends and encourage hair growth.
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
1 teaspoon of honey
- Place the egg, coconut oil and honey in a bowl and combine them together until well combined.
- Massage this mixture into your scalp. Leave it for 20-30 minutes.
- Cleanse your hair with a gentle shampoo and let it dry naturally.
* Honey Hair Mask
Honey is an excellent moisturizer and makes dry hair soft, smooth and less frizzy by binding moisture to the hair. Plus, the antiseptic properties of honey help in eliminating dandruff and soothe an itchy scalp. It prevents split ends by strengthening the hair follicles and providing hydration to the hair.
1 tablespoon of raw honey
3 tablespoons of milk
- Take the milk into a bowl. Then add raw honey and combine well to obtain a uniform mixture.
- Massage this mixture into your scalp. Massage for 5-10 minutes and let it sit for 1-2 hours.
- Then wash as usual with a mild cleanser.