10 Home Remedies To Treat Problem Of PMS
By: Pinki Wed, 25 Dec 2019 12:13 PM
Do you feel grumpy and cranky for no reason just before you start menstruating? Do you feel irritable, tired and depressed throughout the day? If you experience these symptoms every month, you may be experiencing premenstrual syndrome (PMS) that mostly occurs 5-10 days before your menstrual period. Not all women suffer from PMS but the symptoms may be worse in some and only slight in others.
Modify your lifestyle combat PMS
* Limit the intake of salt.
* Eat smaller frequent meals, eat foods containing complex carbohydrates such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and consume more calcium-rich foods such as skimmed milk and low-fat dairy products. You may need calcium and multivitamin supplements. Take these only under medical supervision.
* Do not skip meals.
* Avoid processed or refined sugar in foods. Stay away from junk food such as fries, burgers, pizzas, etc.
* Try and avoid alcohol and restrict your caffeine consumption.
* Increase your fluid intake. Drink 7-8 glasses of water. You can opt for coconut water and lemonade. Eat vegetables like cucumber and bottle gourd, and fruits like watermelon, etc. that have high water content.
* Regular exercise can ease PMS symptoms. Exercise helps release endorphins, the natural ‘feel-good’ chemicals in the brain. Brisk walking, swimming, cycling or any aerobic activities, and other cardio exercises can boost your mood.
* Manage your stress well. Get 7-8 hours of quality sleep during the night. Regular exercise will ease anxiety and cure insomnia.
* Try deep breathing exercises to reduce headache. Yoga, massage, etc. can help you relax.
* It is good to keep a log noting down the timing of your symptoms and tracing the triggers. You can then form strategies to curb them.