7 Yoga Asanas That Will Protect Your Heart
By: Kratika Wed, 16 Sept 2020 6:46 PM
Most people start experiencing heart-related issues during their old age. However, recent studies have shown that more than 30% of heart attack patients are under the age of 40.
It means that a majority of adults start showing symptoms of heart diseases at a much younger age. A hectic lifestyle, lack of physical activities and an unhealthy diet are some of the main reasons for this drastic change.
For a long time now, medical experts have suggested regular practice of yoga for heart problems. Since, it is known to relax the mind and body, yoga is often seen as the ideal solution to reduce stress, anxiety and depression.
Research has also shown that yoga can help control your cholesterol levels as well as blood pressure levels. While you can practice yoga for various issues like treating heart block, it can help improve your breathing as well.
- Stand straight with your feet together and keep your back straight
- Now, bring your palms together and interlock them
- Inhale and stretch your arms up with your palms facing downward
- Look up and then gently drop your head back on your shoulders
- Hold for around 5-10 seconds and repeat 1-2 times
- You can start with the Tadasana and slowly bend your knees and move your hips backwards as if you are sitting on a chair
- Now, raise your hands upwards. Touch the ears and soften the shoulders
- Hold the pose for 5-10 breaths and try stretching upwards if possible
- Release your hands and return to the initial position.
- Stand straight and place your arms at the side of the body
- Bend your right knee while lifting your right leg
- Place it on the inner thigh of your left leg
- Now, raise your arms over your head into a ‘namaste’
- Keep your back straight and hold this position for a few breaths
- Exhale and return to the initial position
- Repeat the same process with your leg.
- Begin with the Tadasana
- Take a deep breath and bend forward you exhale
- Bend your body at the waist and place your hands on the floor beside your feet
- Extend the stretch, push your torso forward and lift your tailbone
- Hold this position for a few seconds and then release.
- Stand straight with hands on your hips and inhale
- Slowly exhale and bend forward to grab your big toes
- Move your belly inwards and allow your head and neck to relax
- You can bend your knees if your hamstrings are a little tight
- Hold for a few seconds and release.
* Adho Mukho Svanasana
- Get on all fours and place your wrists under the shoulders and knees under the hips
- Lift your hips off the floor and push them back towards your heels
- You can try to straighten your legs while pushing your hips back
- Now, press through your palms and rotate your inner elbows towards each other
- Keep your legs engaged and hollow out your abdominals
- Hold for 5-8 breaths and then release.
- Sit down with your legs joined together
- Place your arms by the hips and move forward from your waist
- Engage your lower abdominals and try to touch your stomach to the top of your thighs
- Once you go as far as you can, hold the pose for 8-10 breaths and then release.