Here Is How Sprouts Can Actually Help With Weight Loss
By: Kratika Sat, 19 Sept 2020 3:44 PM
Sprouts have always got their rightful place as a health food, particularly, among a population of people who want to keep life-threatening diseases such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and cardiovascular diseases away. But it’s only recently that sprouts have gained popularity as a superfood that also helps with weight loss. As we all know, healthy eating and a balanced diet gets the weight loss jargon moving, exercise helps to accelerate the process. Depending solely on exercise to shed weight will not work. That’s why, it’s essential to lay great importance on diet by including food which helps boost weight loss, boost metabolism, and provide nutrition at the same time, all without adding too many calories. Sprouts tick all the boxes because studies have linked them to lower body weight and fat, supplying as low as 100 calories per cup. Another reason why sprouts are great or weight loss – they are rich sources of protein and fiber, both of which are essential to weight loss. Having a diet rich in fiber and protein basically accelerates weight loss by keeping you full for longer and curbing unnecessary food cravings and binging. As it is, most legumes, beans, and nuts come packed with abundant nutrients including vitamins, minerals and sprouting, makes them more healthier, nutritious, and weight-loss friendly.
Sprouting is the process inducing germination in legumes, beans, nuts, etc., by soaking them in water for 12 hours, followed by rinsing, and allowing them to develop tiny shoots by keeping them aside for 2 to 3 days. These sprouts are highly nutritious and healthy, being a rich source of protein, fiber, B vitamins, and digestive enzymes. Sprouts are germinated seeds and they can be eaten either or lightly cooked. They are rich in minerals, vitamins, enzymes, and certain other nutrients that are great for overall health, and helps in smooth running of essential body functions.
* Rich source of plant-based protein. In general, one cup of sprouts has up to 14 gm of protein. Here’s how protein can help you lose weight.
* Low in calories – people who severely restrict calories miss on essential vitamins and nutrients, and by consuming sprouts, even a little, can provide ample nutrition like vitamins and minerals along with protein and fiber.
* We all know by now that fiber helps with weight loss by keeping us fuller for longer. Actually, 1 cup of sprouts will provide about 7.6 grams of fibre.
* The digestive enzymes in sprouts are great for the digestive system and a strong gut is the key to weight loss. Read more about it here.
* Lowers cholesterol level and increases the level of good cholesterol.
* Does not spike insulin or blood sugar, keeps blood sugar in check.
* With its antioxidants and chlorophyll, helps in detoxification, and boosts weight loss.
* Rich source of calcium and vitamin D (deficiencies of these can stall weight loss).
* Sprouting increases vitamin C content when some of the resistant starch is converted to vitamin C.
* Extremely low fat content. In one cup of sprouts, there’s just about 0.38 gm of fat. If you eat cooked sprouts.
* Strengthens gut-friendly bacteria with its resistant starch content.
* Rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which is not only great for weight loss by reducing inflammation, improves texture of skin and hair too.
* Boosts metabolism with its enzyme content, which also boosts absorption of nutrients by the digestive tract.
* Inhibits the release of hunger hormone “ghrelin,” which keeps us always in a state of hunger.
* Sprouts make the body alkaline, reduces inflammation, and thus aids in weight loss.