Holi 2020- Treat Your Guests With Kanji Drink
By: Pinki Thu, 27 Feb 2020 12:24 PM
Learn How to make Gajar Ki Kanji Drink using this super easy recipe. Gajar Ki Kanji recipe makes use of carrots in a very interesting way, as a delicious, spicy tangy fermented drink. It is a popular drink for Holi too.Carrots are vegetables that are often used in salads, and although we know they are nutritious, we don’t incorporate them into our diet very often.
This traditional North Indian drink prepared mostly in winters, has a very unique color and taste, and also uses a unique method of preparation, that of being fermented for 4-5 days.You can also add beetroot or any other vegetable to up the nutrition quotient.
2 litres Water
4 tsp Salt
2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
5 tsp Yellow Mustard Made into a coarse powder
200 g Carrot
* Wash the carrot and peel them.
* Cut them into half inch thick and 2 inch long fingers.
* Heat water in a large pot and as soon as it comes to a boil, switch off the heat.
* Add the carrots in the boiling water and cover the pot for 10 minutes.
* Add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and mustard powder in the water.
* Transfer the Kanji in a glass jar and cover the mouth of the jar with a muslin cloth.
* Place the jar in the sun for 4-5 days for fermentation.
* Bring the jar back inside at night and put it back again in the morning.
* Shake the jar everyday before keeping it in the sun.
* The Kanji will turn slightly sour once it’s ready to consume.
* Store it in refrigerator for another 6-7 days and serve chilled along with a few pieces of carrot.
* Always stir the kanji nicely before serving.