Navratri Recipe- Bite Sized Crispy And Crunchy Vrat Ki Papdi
By: Kratika Sun, 18 Oct 2020 09:25 AM
This bite-sized crispy and crunchy Vrat ki Papdi (savory wafers) is a gluten-free and vegan snack. A quick and easy savory wafer that is full of flavor, delicious, and super addictive!
Do you enjoy eating papdi/savory wafers? How about fresh spinach? What if I told you that this recipe has everything you are looking for in a savory wafer. A perfect recipe that combines all your favorite flavors into one delicious bite-sized snack. Sounds yum, right? Vrat ki papdi
It sure is. You just can’t stop at one.
So, my friends here is a Gluten-free and vegan Vrat ki papdi (savory wafers made with gluten-free flours, fresh spinach, and spices). This is the recipe I grew up on and is my favorite gluten-free snack. My mom would cook up a huge batch of these wafers, as it disappeared pretty quickly.
1.5 cup Water chestnut flour (Singhara flour)
1 cup Tapioca flour (sabudana flour)
3/4 cup Fresh Baby Spinach leaves
1 teaspoon Red chili powder
2 teaspoon Dried mint leaves, crushed
Salt to taste (Vrat salt - Sendha namak)
1/4 cup Ghee (to knead the dough)
Oil for Frying
* Wash, chop, and pat dry the spinach leaves.
* Assemble all the ingredients in a bowl (except oil). Slowly add water to form a soft dough. Not much water is required to bind this dough. So, add water slowly. If the dough feels sticky add an extra tablespoon of flour and mix.
* Heat oil in a pan. Grease a platform.
* Roll a ball out of the dough. Singhara flour (water chestnut flour) is a gluten-free flour and like regular flour, it doesn’t have the same elasticity. It can’t be rolled like wheat flour instead it needs to be patted with hands to give it a shape.
* Grease your fingers and start spreading the dough.
* Spread the dough into a circle.
* Use a cutter to cut small rounds out of this circle.
* The other way to make papdi would be to make small dough balls and flatten them in between your palms.
* Remove the extra dough and all that is left is small disc-shaped rounds. Use a fork to prick small holes in the dough to prevent puffing.
* Deep fry the wafers/papdi over medium flame.
* Secret to crunchy papdis/wafers is to fry them longer on a medium-low flame until brown and crispy. Can these be baked? Yes, they can be baked too.
* Bake @375 degrees for 9-10 minutes (or until crispy) turning midway through cooking.
* Store at room temperature in an airtight container. Read notes above.
* Or serve them hot with a cup of hot tea.