Navratri Recipe- Sukhi Arbi For Fast
By: Pinki Tue, 24 Mar 2020 10:24 PM
This is SIMPLE and QUICK recipe made during Navratri vrat or fasting. In this recipe boiled arbi pieces are roasted with few spices. Every household have their own tradition and rules for what to eat and what not to eat. So adjust the recipe/spices accordingly. If you are not aware, please consult with your elders. See the substitutions below in notes.At home we do eat red chili powder during Navratri vrat. But we do not eat during ekadashi, gauri vrat or maha shivratri.
6-7 or 1 ½ cup Arbi (taro root or colocasia) boiled, peeled and sliced
1 ½ tablespoons Oil
¼ teaspoon Ajwain (Carom seeds)
Rock Salt (sendha namak) to taste
1 teaspoon Red chili powder
½ teaspoon Cumin powder
¼ teaspoon Amchur powder
* Wash the arbi very well.
* Boil the arbi in the pressure cooker or in the microwave.
* Be very careful, do not overcook them otherwise they become soft, mushy and sticky.
* In microwave, it should take only 4-5 minutes. In the pressure cooker, cook for 1 whistle only and immediately release the pressure and open the lid.
* Once cool to touch, peel the skin and discard.
* Cut into slices or coins.
* Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
* Once hot add ajwain and saute for 30-40 seconds.
* Then add sliced arbi and sprinkle salt. Mix.
* Saute them in single layer till they are slightly browned and crisp around the edges.
* Now add red chili powder, cumin powder and amchur powder.
* Mix well and make sure that all the masala is coated to the pieces evenly.
* Now turn off the stove.