Recipe- Healthy Chicken Watermelon Tacos
By: Pinki Fri, 05 June 2020 5:10 PM
Fresh watermelon makes for a summery tomato substitute in classic chicken tacos. This summer recipe combines some of our seasonal favorites – grilling, watermelon and, of course, Vidalia onions. Add it to your Taco Tuesday rotation or just enjoy for lunch or dinner when you want some added freshness.
4 tomatillos, husked and rinsed
1 large jalapeno pepper
1 small red onion (1/2 cut into large chunks, 1/2 thinly sliced)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (skin removed)
Juice of 2 limes, plus wedges for serving
2 cups chopped watermelon
1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro
3/4 cup crumbled Cotija cheese (about 3 ounces)
Freshly ground pepper
12 corn tortillas
1 avocado, chopped
* Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add the tomatillos, jalapeno and red onion chunks. Cook, turning, until blistered, 5 to 6 minutes for the onion and 7 to 8 minutes for the tomatillos and jalapeno.
* Transfer to a cutting board; cool slightly. Chop the tomatillos and onion; seed and chop the jalapeno.
* Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tomatillos, chopped onions and half of the jalapeno.
* Cook until the vegetables release their juices, then add the chicken, the juice of 1 lime and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Simmer until warmed through, about 2 minutes. Keep warm over low heat.
* Toss the watermelon, 1/2 cup cilantro, the sliced red onion, the remaining jalapeno, juice of 1 lime, 1 tablespoon olive oil and half of the cheese in a bowl.
* Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Warm the tortillas in a dry skillet.
* Add the remaining 1 cup cilantro to the chicken mixture.
* Divide among the tortillas; top with the watermelon salad, the remaining cheese and the avocado. Serve with lime wedges.