Recipe- Jain Style No Onion Garlic Matar Paneer
By: Pinki Sat, 23 Jan 2021 3:45 PM
Here I bring you another version of the famous North Indian Matar Paneer curry without onion and garlic. Many think that Indian curries specially rich and creamy ones, need lot of cream, onion and garlic. But there are lot of curries, rich and creamy that can be made without the above mentioned ingredients.Many communities India avoid onion and garlic for everyday food and eat a satvik diet.Here are days and festivals when people have dietary restrictions on consuming onion and garlic.
1 Cup Paneer Cubed(Indian Cottage Cheese
¾ Cup Green Peas (Fresh/Frozen)
2 tsp Kadhai Masala
1/2 tsp Dried Fenugreek Leaves/Kasuri Methi
2 tbsp Any good vegetable Oil
2 tbsp Melon Seeds
1-2 tbsp Green Chillies or Whole Red Chilies
Salt to taste
* Cut Paneer into cubes.
* Blend tomatoes, ginger, green chillies/dry whole red chillies , melon seeds to fine paste.
Instant Pot Method
* Plug -in Instant pot, switch on the SAUTE Mode, on HIGH for 10 minutes, whole dry spices and cumin seeds.
* Once cumin seeds crackle, add prepared tomato puree and cook till it starts it thickens.
* Add and mix Kadhai Masala or spice powders, followed by peas. Drain water from peas before adding. Mix everything well. Add about 1/2 Cup water.
* Now, CANCEL the SAUTE Mode, close the lid, set the PRESSURE COOK Mode, on HIGH, for 4 mins.
* Once , the time goes off, release the pressure using QRP(Quick Release Pressure) and open the lid.
* Add Kasuri Methi or dried fenugreek leaves, cubed paneer pieces.
* Set the SAUTE mode on for 1-2 minutes. After that,cancel the SAUTE Mode and close the lid again for 5 minutes, and let the flavours infuse with paneer pieces.
Traditional Indian Pressure Cooker
* Switch on the flame to medium and when oil is hot enough add whole spices and cumin seeds, with tomato puree.
* When puree thickens, add masala and peas add 1/2 cup water and salt to taste, close the lid and cook till 2 whistles. Let the pressure go off naturally.
* Add Kasuri Methi and paneer pieces, mix and cook again for another 1-2 minutes. Adjust water as per the your preferred consistency of gravy. Close the lid, till ready to serve.
* Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves before serving.
* Serve hot with any bread or jeera rice.