Recipe- Make The Festival Delicious With Homemade Mohanthal
By: Pinki Tue, 21 July 2020 5:22 PM
Mohanthal or Mohan Thal is a traditional Gujarati-Rajasthani Dessert. This is an outstanding and classic Indian fudge made with gram flour (besan) and ghee and sweetened with saffron and cardamom flavored sugar syrup.In the sates of Rajasthan and Gujarat, this dessert dish ‘Mohanthal’ is a must during the festival of Diwali. I come from the Indian state of Rajasthan. So I grew up eating this Mithai almost every year. The last Diwali I celebrated in India with my family was about 10 years ago, and that time my Mom also made this sweet and she still does.
Gram Flour – 1 Cup
Ghee – 4 + 1 Tbsp
Ghee Or Oil For Deep Frying
Crumbled Mawa – 1/2 Cup
For Sugar Syrup:
Milk – 8-10 Tbsp Or More If Needed For Making Dough
Sugar 1 Cup
Cardamom Powder – 1 Tsp
Saffron Strands Soaked In Warm Water For 15 Mins – 7-8
Chopped Almonds And Pistachio For Garnish – 4 Tbsp
* Add 1 cup sugar, 3/4 cup water to a deep pan, and stir well. Let it cook on high heat for 3 minutes.
* Turn the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes.
* Add saffron soaked in water and stir well and boil for a minute.
* Add cardamom powder stir well.
* Let the water boil till sugar syrup is thick and forms 2 string consistency. Keep stirring occasionally.
* Combine the besan, 1 tbsp ghee, and mix well.
* Add milk of water and knead well to make a stiff dough.
* Divide the dough into 10 equal small balls and shape them into patties.
* Heat the oil and fry the patties at low heat until they are golden brown in color from all the sides.
* Drain on an absorbent paper and allow them to cool for 3-4 minutes.
* Break the patties and grind the fried patties in a blender into a fine powder.
* Pass it through the sieve to get a fine mixture.
* Heat 4 tbsp ghee in a pan. Add the sieved besan mixture and stir well.
* Cook on medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
* Add crumbled mawa and cook for 5 more minutes. Keep stirring continuously.
* Add the prepared sugar syrup to the besan mixture, Stir well.
* Stir continuously for 2-3 minutes or till the mixture cools and thickens up.
* Grease a container, pan or thali with ghee and pour the mixture into it.
* Spread it evenly using a flat spatula.
* Sprinkle with chopped pistachios, and almonds evenly over it and pat it with a flat spatula.
* Keep it aside to cool completely for 4 hours or overnight.
* Cut into equal sized squares and serve.
* Serve at room temperature or warm.
* It stays fresh at room temperature for up to 2 days and in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.