Recipe- Market Style Chocolate Chip Muffins
By: Pinki Tue, 01 Dec 2020 2:27 PM
There’s not really any secret to bakery style muffins. To make them look prettier, I sprinkled the chocolate chip muffins with some turbinado sugar on top before putting them in the oven. The sugar not only makes the chocolate chip muffins look prettier, but also gives the top a nice crunch which I personally love. You can totally skip it if you are not a fan.
Few things which you can change/play around with in this recipe. First I have used a lot of chocolate chips, which is okay for chocoholics like me but might not be okay who for someone who isn’t obsessed with chocolate. You can easily reduce the quantity to 1 cup or even 3/4 cup if you like. Second, I used canola oil in this recipe, you can use butter which will result in more flavorful muffins. Melt and butter (unsalted), cool it down and then use in the recipe.
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
2.25 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 egg large, at room temperature
1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons whole milk
1.25 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
turbinado sugar to sprinkle on top (optional)
* Spray a 12 count muffin pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
* Preheat your oven to 425 F degrees.
* In a bowl sift together all purpose flour, baking powder and salt.
* From that flour mix, take 1 tablespoon out in another container and add chocolate chips to it. Toss till all chocolate chips are coated with the flour. Tossing the chocolate chips with little flour before adding them to the batter makes sure that they do not sink at the bottom while baking. Set aside.
* In another bowl add canola oil, egg, granulated white sugar and brown sugar and beat till everything is well combined, around 2 minutes.
* Add vanilla extract and milk and mix till well combined.
* Start adding the flour mix in parts, do not dump the entire thing at one go. Mix till the flour is just combined. Do not over-mix.
* Add in the chocolate chips (along with the flour they were tossed in). Stir to combine. The batter will be thick.
* Fill the muffin pans with the batter all the way to the top.
* Sprinkle with turbinado sugar (optional).
* Bake at 425 F degrees for 5 minutes and then with the muffins remaining inside the oven, lower the temperature to 350 F degrees and bake for another 13-15 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.