Recipe- Restaurant Style Paneer Makhani
By: Pinki Sat, 23 Jan 2021 4:16 PM
Vegetarians in India love Paneer and paneer dishes. Be it Palak Paneer, Paneer Bhurji, Kadhai paneer or even paneer stuffed paranthas or kulchas, some of the dishes that form the menu of all the restaurants or a part of there everyday meal or weekend parties.But the dish that takes away heart of everyone one is Paneer Makhani.
Paneer Makhani is a delectable, sweet and tangy gravy (made with tomatoes as core ingredients) with soft Paneer/Indian Cottage Cheese. It is called Makhani as the gravy is cooked in butter.
200 g Paneer/Indian Cottage Cheese approx. 2 cups
10-12 Cashew Nut pieces
1 tsp Kasuri Methi/Dried Fenugreek Leaves
1-2 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
1 Bay Leaf
1 Cinamom stick (small) optional
1 tsp Suagr/Honey/Agave Nectar
2 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Oil
4-5 Garlic Cloves
1" Ginger Piece
1 Green Chilli optional
2 tbsp Canned Tomato Sauce optional
* Cut Paneer into cubes of desired size.
* Soak in lukewarm water fro 5-10 minutes.
* Cut tomatoes in irregular pieces.
* In a pan, add water about 1.5-2 cups water, then add cashew nuts, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and whole spices.
* Once the tomaotes are soft and mushy, swtich off the gas and let the mix cool down.
* Puree the mixture in very smooth paste. You can take starin water before making puree. Add it later to curry.
* In the same pan or take another one, add oil and butter.
* Once the butter starts to melt, add Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder.
* Mix with butter for a few seconds and then add puree.
* Mix nicely. Puree will splutter so be careful.
* Keep on cooking the mixture for a 1-2 min, stirring in between.
* Add tomato sauce(optional), sugar, garam masala and mix well.
* Add about ¼-half cup of water to adjust the consistency. Use the water strained after cooking tomatoes and spices. Cook for a minute.
* Add Paneer cubes and salt and mix nicely.
* Cook for just a couple of seconds so that the masala coats evenly on paneer cubes.
* Add roasted and finely crushed kasuri methi/dried fenugreek leaves and mix well.
* Add more butter if you like and serve hot with the bread of your choice.