Recipe- South India Popular Breakfast Upma
By: Pinki Sat, 23 Jan 2021 3:45 PM
Upma is a very popular breakfast dish from Southern Indian States. Upma,also known as Uppumavu or Uppittu, is prepared from Semolina or Sooji. Also known as Rava. There are many variations of Upma as per the ingredients and spices used depending on the region and one’s preferences.
Upma is a filling and nutritious breakfast option especially for busy weekday mornings. When you are bore of eating bread toast or paranthas for breakfast, make a bowl of Upma. We love cashew nuts, finely chopped carrots and peas. I like to make it on weekends for breakfast or quick evening snack when we come back from outings. With or without veggies and nuts, Upma is a great breakfast or quick meal and even lunchbox option. Best enjoyed with coconut chutney. Today I am here with basic Upma recipe.
3/4 Cup Sooji/Rava/Semolina
1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Onions
1 tbsp Mixed Lentils(Chana Dal and Urad Dal)
7-8 Cashew nuts(roughly broken)
1 tsp Mustard Seeds(Rai)
1-2 Whole Red Chillies
1-2 Green Chillies
1/2 tsp Sugar
1 tbsp Ghee
* Dry roast Sooji/Rava in a heavy bottom pan or kadhai, till it gives out the aroma and turns light brown in color.
* Take out in a plate/bowl and keep aside..
* In the same add ghee, when it is warm enough, add mustard seeds(rai). When the seeds splutter, add dals/lentils, whole red chili, saute till the lentils start turning light brown.
* Add onions and finely chopped green chillies and saute till onions are light pink. Add broken cashew nuts and fry for a minute.
* Add water and then add sooji in parts, few tbsp at a time, keep stirring to avoid any lump formation.
* Cook upma till it has a thick consistency and water dries up.
* Garnish with finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and serve hot.