Recipe- Veggie Pinwheels Are Perfect Finger Food
By: Pinki Fri, 22 Jan 2021 3:45 PM
Veggie Pinwheels are bite size, super easy to make and an addictive appetizer prepared using Puff Pastry Sheets and spring vegetables of your choice. These pinwheels are perfect finger food for your spring outdoor potlucks, holiday gatherings, or during game night with family and friends.
Puff Pastry Sheets – 1
Large onion – 1
Garlic cloves – 4
Ginger – 1 inch
Green chile – 1
Medium carrots – 2
Green beans – 12
Coriander leaves / Cilantro – 6 strands
Vegetable Oil – 2 tbsp
Soy sauce – 1 tsp
Tomato ketchup – 2 tbsp
Red chile powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala – 1/4 tsp (optional)
Egg – 1 (optional)
Salt – to taste
Grated cheese – 1/2 cup
* Using food processor finely chop onion, garlic, ginger, and green chile together – and transfer to a small bowl. Then chop carrots, beans, and coriander leaves.
* In a non-stick pan on medium-high heat, add oil and saute the following chopped veggies – onion, garlic, ginger, and green chilies until onions turn golden brown.
* Then add chopped carrots, beans and coriander leaves and continue sauteing for another 2-3 minutes.
* Add soy sauce, ketchup, red chile powder, garam masala powder and mix well. Season with salt according to taste.
* Vegetable spread/mix is now ready, keep it aside to cool.
*Thaw Puff Pastry Sheets according to package instruction. Unwrap the thawed sheets onto a well floured working surface (check tip section).
* Using a rolling pin roll it into approximately 9 by 12 inch rectangle.
* Spread the prepared vegetable mix leaving about 1/2 inch along one side of the longest edge of the Puff Pastry. Now evenly distribute the grated cheese over the vegetables.
* Brush the remaining 1/2 inch wide strip of Puff Pastry with egg wash.
* Next make a tight roll starting from the longest side of the Puff Pastry Sheet that has the vegetable mix, and ending the roll on the side that has egg wash. Transfer the rolled dough to the freezer for about 8 minutes.
* Preheat the oven to 400 degree F.
* Remove the Puff Pastry roll from the freezer, and using a sharp knife cut into 1 cm thick pinwheels. Place the pinwheels 1 inch apart on a greased baking sheet.
* Brush the side of pinwheels with egg wash to ensure a golden crust after baking.
* Bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack for about 5 minutes before serving.
* Veggie Pinwheels are now ready. You can serve these alone or with a side of ketchup.