Recipe- Easy To Make Chana Aloo Curry
By: Pinki Wed, 13 Jan 2021 2:40 PM
Easy Chana Aloo Curry gets done in 30 minutes and is the perfect meal for those busy days!
This chickpea and potato curry is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and is best served with rice. Remember to chop the potatoes small, preferably in ½ inch cubes or less, else they will take a lot of time to cook completely.
Adjust spice levels to taste. If you do not have all these spices, simply use a tablespoon or two of curry powder with some smoked paprika and it would still be great. I don’t like too much heat in my food hence I have used little cayenne pepper here, you can add as much as you like.
2 tablespoons oil I used avocado oil
1 bay leaf
3 green cardamom pods
2 whole cloves
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 large onion 200 grams, finely chopped
3-4 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 inch ginger finely chopped
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper adjust to taste
3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
30 oz can chickpeas 850 grams/2 x 15 oz
1 large potato 320 grams, cut into 1/2" cubes, around 1.5 cups cubed potatoes
1.5-2 cups water
2 tablespoons cilantro plus more to garnish
juice of 1/2 lime
* Heat oil in a Pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the bay leaf, cardamom pods, cloves and cumin seeds. Saute for few seconds until the cumin seeds sizzle and the spices are fragrant.
* Add the chopped onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 4-5 minutes until the onions turn light golden brown in color.
* Then add in a can of diced tomatoes and stir well.
* Add the spices- coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, ground cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and stir. Also add the salt, mix well and let it all cook for 3-4 minutes.
* Add in the chickpeas and cubed potatoes. Mix well until the chickpeas and the potatoes are coated with the masala.
* Add 1.5 to 2 cups of water to the pan and stir.
* Close the pan with its lid and let the curry cook on medium heat for around 12 to 15 minutes until the potatoes are cooked and the curry thickens up.
* Once the curry is done, add in the cilantro and the lime juice and mix.
* Serve chana aloo over rice for a comforting meal.