Recipe- Spiced Corn Soup For Winter Nights
By: Pinki Thu, 12 Nov 2020 4:19 PM
Have you been thinking about what you’re going to cook tonight? How about this Makai Ka Shorba (Spiced Corn Soup) recipe that comes together in less than 30 minutes, and with 130 calories per serving, it’s a real winner.
But wait, there’s more! This nourishing Instant pot shorba is picky-eater approved, vegan, and gluten-free too! Pair it with a side of skillet rolls for a well-rounded meal. This shorba recipe gets a flavor boost from roasting the corn. Roasting of corn enhances its sweetness and adds a depth of flavor.
To up the health quotient of this shorba, carrots are added, as they are full of vitamins and antioxidants.
This makai ka shorba gets the bulk of its flavor from turmeric, cinnamon, garlic powder, and cumin seeds. The combo of these seasonings works together and takes this dish to a whole new level.
1½ cups Corn kernels grilled
2 teaspoons Oil
4 – Black Peppercorns
4 – Cloves
1 – Bay Leaf
1 small Onion finely chopped
½ cup Carrots diced
½ teaspoon Garlic powder
½ teaspoon Cumin powder
1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
¼ teaspoon Cinnamon powder
Salt to taste
1 cup Vegan milk
1½ cup Water
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
Sweet Corn Kernels
Cilantro leaves chopped
* Turn the grill on. Place the corn on the hot grill.
* Cook the corn over the hot grill for 8-10 minutes per side or until done, turning frequently.
* Once the corn has charred, allow it to cool until comfortable enough to handle. Once it’s cooled, hold the corn cob vertically on a plate.
* Using a sharp knife cut down on the corn and slice the kernels off the cob. Set the corn kernels aside.
* Turn the Instant Pot to ‘Saute mode.’ Once it displays ‘hot,’ add oil to the insert. Add cloves, peppercorns, and bay leaf and sauté for 1 minute. This way, the whole spices will release more flavor.
* Add chopped onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes until onions are soft and fragrant.
* Add diced carrots and cook for another 2 minutes.
* Stir in all the spices – turmeric, cumin powder, salt, and garlic powder. Mix to combine. Now add grilled corn kernels to the Instant pot insert.
* Pour in milk and water to the cooking corn mixture. Stir until combined.
* Turn the Instant Pot off. Close the lid and seal the pot. Press the Manual or pressure cook button and cook the Instant Pot Makai Ka Shorba (Spiced Corn Soup) for 6 minutes on HIGH.
* Once the cooking time has elapsed, turn off the Instant Pot.
* Allow the pressure to release naturally. When the pin drops, carefully open the lid.
* Just before you blend the bisque, remove the bay leaf and discard.
* Blend the shorba using an immersion blender until smooth and creamy.
PROTIP – If you like a chunky shorba, you can just give a few swirls of the immersion blender, rather than blending it smooth.
* For a creamy consistency, blend the shorba until it reaches a sauce-like consistency. Add 1/4 cup of water and bring it to a boil again.
* Sprinkle lemon juice. Garnish with sweet corn kernels, cilantro leaves, and be prepared for everyone lining up for seconds.