Summer Recipe- Instant Mango Shrikhand To Keep You Cool
By: Pinki Wed, 01 July 2020 1:55 PM
Shrikhand is a yogurt based dessert popular in western parts of India. To make shrikhand, yogurt is strained by tying it in a muslin cloth and putting pressure over it. The yogurt is then mixed with sugar, saffron, cardamom and then chilled before serving. Traditionally this procedure took 2-3 days but I guess now no one has time to go through such a long process and hence this instant recipe.
When you add mango pulp to shrikhand it becomes Mango Shrikhand or Aamrakhand. This instant mango shrikhand recipe is made using Greek Yogurt. Because the yogurt needs to be really thick for shrikhand, do not use 0% Greek Yogurt, instead use one with higher fat content like 2% or more. In case you see some water in the yogurt, just drain it by tying the yogurt in a muslin cloth for 5 minutes or so, usually there will be no water in Greek yogurt.
¾ cup greek yogurt
½ cup + 1 tablespoon mango puree
2 tablespoons sugar or to taste
3-4 green cardamom
pinch saffron strands dissolved in water
cashews for garnishing
pistachios for garnishing
* Whisk the greek yogurt in a bowl.
* Chop the mangoes and puree them in a blender.
* Peel the cardamom and crush the seeds using mortar and pestle. Set aside.
* Dissolve the saffron strands in 1 teaspoon of water or milk.
* In a bowl mix together greek yogurt, mango puree, sugar and whisk till sugar is dissolved and yogurt and mango puree are well combined.
* Add the crushed cardamom seeds, saffron strands and mix.
* Pour the mango shrikhand in serving bowls and garnish with chopped pistachios/cashews.
* Chill the serving bowls in the refrigerator before serving.