Summer Recipe- So Yummy Mango Kulfi
By: Pinki Wed, 01 July 2020 09:42 AM
Hot days calls for frozen treats and there’s nothing quite like homemade kulfi aka the Indian version of ice cream! This Mango Kulfi has the flavors of mango mixed with the traditional kulfi.
It’s so creamy and so yummy, you would not want to miss out on this one. Kulfi is Indian version of ice cream. It’s made without eggs, without an ice cream maker. Kulfi is made with milk and milk solids. It’s often flavored with nuts, cardamom and saffron.
4 cups whole milk
1.5 cups dried milk powder
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons chopped nuts I used pistachios and cashews
1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
1.5 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 3 tablespoons water or milk
1 3/4 cups mango puree I used fresh
* Add whole milk to a heavy bottom pan on medium heat. Let it come to a simmer and then lower the heat to medium-low.
* Then add the milk powder and mix well.
* Add the condensed milk and mix. Also add the chopped nuts and mix.
* Let the milk simmer on low heat for 20 minutes. It will thicken as it cooks.
* After 20 minutes, add the cardamom powder and mix.
* Mix cornstarch with water or milk until smooth. Add the cornstarch slurry to the milk and whisk to combine.
* Let the milk simmer for 5 more minutes after adding the cornstarch, keep stirring continuously. It will thicken considerably. See the picture above, it should be that thick and coat the back of a spoon.
* Remove pan from heat and then let the milk cool completely. Once it has cooled down, add the mango puree.
* Mix the mango puree with the milk mixture until well combined.
* Transfer kulfi mixture to plastic cups or kulfi molds. I was able to get 15 small kulfis out of this mixture.
* Cover each with aluminium foil and place in the freezer. Once kulfi is little set (around 1.5 hours), take them out of the freezer and stick a ice cream stick in each mold. Return kulfi to the freezer and freeze until set, preferably overnight.
* Run a knife around the edges of the mango kulfi to demold. You may also dip the molds in warm water for few seconds and then pull gently to de-mold.
* Garnish with pistachios or enjoy as such.