Janmashtami 2019- Celebrate The Fast With Delicious Sabudana Thalipeeth
By: Pinki Wed, 21 Aug 2019 12:40 PM
Sabudana roti is a maharashtrian delicacy prepared especially during fasting. However, this simple and tasty roti recipe is heavily adopted by all over india.
¾ cup sabudana / sago / javvarisi / sabbakki
water for soaking
2 potatoes, boiled and pealed
½ cup peanuts, roasted, deskinned and coarsely crushed
2 green chilli, finely chopped
few coriander leaves, finely chopped
¾ tsp jeera / cumin seeds
salt to taste, powdered rock salt for upvas
oil/ghee for roasting
* Firstly, in a large bowl, take ¾ cup sabudana.
* Furthermore, soak in enough water for overnight or atleast 8 hours. check notes section below for variations.
* Next day, mash between your fingers and check if they are soaked well.
* Also drain off the water completely and rinse with fresh water for 3-4 times or till water runs clean. then keep aside for 30 minutes in colander.
* In a large mixing bowl, take soaked and drained sabudana.
* Then mash two boiled potatoes.
* Now add roasted, deskinned and coarsely crushed peanuts.
* Also add finely chopped chilli and coriander leaves.
* Furthermore, add cumin seeds and some salt to taste.
* Also mash well with your hand.
* Make sure to form a non-sticky dough.
* Now take a small ball of dough and start patting over oiled butter paper, plastic sheet or banana leaf.
* Furthermore, pat as thinly as possible. dip your hand in water so that you can spread easily and avoid from having cracks.
* Make a hole in centre so that thalipeeth can absorb oil and cook fast.
* Grease the tava with oil and gently drop the sheet upside down over the hot griddle.
* After few seconds, peal off the sheet slowly without breaking thalipeeth.
* Additionally, smear some oil over the thalipeeth and cook on medium flame. flip over and cook both sides.
* Finally, serve the thalipeeth hot with curd.