Recipe- Enjoy Your Tea Time With Eggless Wholewheat Jaggery Cake
By: Pinki Fri, 24 July 2020 4:05 PM
Whole Wheat Jaggery Cake – a simple tea time cake made with atta (whole wheat) and jaggery.Slightly flavored with cinnamon, this cake is lightly sweetened and is great for snacking or breakfast.
Tea time cakes are my favorite cakes to bake. I often run out of patience to frost and decorate a cake.The only time I will take the effort to decorate and frost a cake is for anniversaries or birthdays. As for the rest of the days, I will bake a simple cake.
1.5 cups whole wheat flour atta, 195 grams
1.5 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1/2 cup oil 120 ml/4 oz, I used canola oil
1/2 cup plain yogurt 120 grams, whisked and then measured
1 cup powdered jaggery 130 grams, measured after sifting the jaggery powder
1 teaspoon vanilla 5 ml
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons milk 120 ml + 30 ml
1/2 cup chopped walnuts 50 grams
* Pre-heat oven to 350 F degrees. Spray a 8 x 4 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
* Sift the jaggery powder first, this will ensure all larger particles are removed and you have a smooth powdered jaggery for the cake batter. Set it aside.
* In another bowl, sift together atta (whole wheat flour), baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder and pinch of salt. Set aside.
* To your stand mixer (or use a hand mixer), now add oil, yogurt (whisk it before), jaggery powder and vanilla extract.
* Now, using the paddle attachment of your stand mixer or using your hand mixer, beat until everything is well combined.
* Add half of the flour mixture and mix.
* Then add the milk and mix, followed by adding remaining half of the flour. You may add an additional tablespoon of milk here if batter looks too thick.
* Fold in the chopped walnuts using a spatula.
* Transfer batter to the prepared pan. Bake at 350 F degrees for 40 to 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. My cake was done in 40 minutes.
* Once done, remove the cake from pan and transfer it onto a wire rack to cool completely. Don't try to slice it until it's completely cool. Then slice and enjoy.