Recipe- Kids Special Pyaz Wali Bhindi
By: Pinki Wed, 03 June 2020 5:57 PM
Give this delicious preparation of Bhindi Do Pyaza, also known as Pyaz Wali bhindi which is a popular vegetable in Punjabi Cuisine which you can serve along with Kadhi Pakora and Tawa Parathas for lunch or dinner.
Pyaz Wali Bhindi is a popular dry vegetable in Punjabi Cuisine usually served with Kadhi Pakora along with Parathas for the lunch menu. This dish could be served with Roti as well for simple weeknight dinner. You can also pack this in your Lunch Box with Tawa Parathas.
500 grams Bhindi (Lady Finger/Okra)
2 tablespoon Mustard oil, or Sunflower oil
1 teaspoon Ajwain (Carom seeds)
2 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini), broken
1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
3 Onions , thinly sliced
1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder , (or more to taste)
2 teaspoons Coriander (Dhania) Powder
2 teaspoons Amchur (Dry Mango Powder)
Salt, to taste
* To begin making Pyaz Wali Bhindi Recipe Bhindi Do Pyaza, first wash bhindi in water. Pat dry with the kitchen towel. To cut okra first remove the stem of the bhindi and then cut into thin strips of 4 pieces. Keep aside until ready to use.
* Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add the ajwain seeds and allow it to crackle.
* Add the cinnamon stick, bay leaf and saute for a few seconds. Add the thinly sliced onions, turn the heat to low and saute the onions until they soften.
* At this stage add in the chopped lady's finger, sprinkle salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and amchur powder.
* Stir until all the ingredients get well combined. Cover the pan with the lid slightly ajar. Keep the heat on low and let bhindi do pyaza cook until it turns soft and tender. This process will take about 15 minutes on medium heat.
* Ensure to keep stirring the bhindi do pyaza a few times in between so it gets cooked evenly and towards the end you will notice the onions have slightly caramelised as well.
* Once done, turn off the heat and check the salt and spices and adjust to taste accordingly.
* Transfer the Pyaz Wali Bhindi/ Bhindi Do Pyaza to a serving bowl and serve hot.
* Serve the Pyaz Wali Bhindi/ Bhindi Do Pyaza Recipe along with Parathas and Kadhi Pakora for a delicious lunch or dinner.