Recipe- Specially For Sunday Gobhi Matar Ka Keema
By: Pinki Sat, 23 Jan 2021 4:16 PM
Gobhi Matar Ka Keema is a delicious side dish made with fresh grated cauliflower and green peas. It is the vegetarian/vegan version of the popular Keema.
Keema means minced, so keema dishes are made with minced lamb/mutton or chicken or any kind of meat with peas or potatoes. It is very popular in South Asian countries. You can make cutlets with keema or stuff it in samosa, paratha or naan.
1 Medium Cauliflower(Phool Gobhi) about 2½Cups of grated cauliflower
1/2 Cup Green Peas Fresh/Frozen
1 Small Onion
1-2 Medium Tomatoes
2-3 Garlic Cloves
1-2 Green Chilies optional
Finely Chopped Cilantro/Coriander for garnish
1-2 Whole dry Red Chillies
1 Bay Leaf
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
4-5 Black Peppercorns
¼ tsp Turmeric
½-1 tsp Red Chillli
1-2 tsp Garam Masala
Salt to taste
1+2 tbsp Any plant based oil
* Wash cauliflower very nicely in tap water. Then cut into florets. here size of florets doesn't matter as we are going to grate it.
* Heat water in a pan , enough to soak the florets. Do not boil it. When bubbles start coming, then add salt and turmeric and switch off the flame and then add florets.
* Leave in it for about 10 mins. Then drain water and dry pat florets on a kitchen towel.
* When florets are dry, grate cauliflower. I used my food processor. If you are grating it with hand, then do not cut cauliflower in small florets. You can cut in half. Wash and clean it and then soak the whole or half in warm water.
* You can easily grate whole cauliflower then doing all the florets.
* I had a big cauliflower, so I used half of it. After grating in my food processor, I got about 2½Cups of grated cauliflower.
* In a heavy bottomed pan, add some ghee or oil(vegans) and roast grated cauliflower till light pink in color. Take out in a plate or dish and keep aside.
* Next prepare onion tomato masala, in the same pan or another one, heat oil , then add all whole spices, cumin seeds.
* When seeds crackle, add finely chopped onion, then add ginger garlic paste. Once raw smell of garlic and onions goes away, add finely chopped tomatoes.
* Cook till soft and mushy. Then add all the powdered spices and cook for a minute.
* Now add green peas, add about 1/4 cup of water and salt. Cook peas covered for about 5 minutes on low flame.
* Once peas are done(check 1 or 2 peas by pressing with ladle), add roasted cauliflower, mix well and then again cook for 2-3 minutes covered. You can 2-3 tbsp of water if required. Do not add more than that.
* Once done, serve hot garnished with finely chopped fresh cilantro or coriander.
* Serve hot with bread of your choice. We can equally relish this keema with Pita bread or dinner rolls or pav bread as much as it tastes good with chapati or paratha.