5 Mindblowing Facts About Freight Transport Of Indian Railways
By: Pinki Wed, 30 Jan 2019 08:04 AM
Freight Train transport in India runs more than 9,200 trains daily generating revenue and 501 billion INR per year. IR consist of 277,987 freight wagons with wagon numbering system allocated 11 digits and both diesel and electric locomotive are used by freight.
* Indian Railways runs more than 9,200 trains daily and carried 1,110 million tonnes of freight in fiscal year.
* Indian Railways Freight trains with 1.5 km length, 3660 mm width and 7.1 m height clearance are only in the world.
* Freight segment of Indian Railways rolling stock consisted of 277,987 freight wagons.
* Average speed of freight trains in India is around 24 km/per hour.
* Broad gauge railway line used for freight and generate 100% of the freight output.