8 Home Remedies Useful In Making Your Hair Healthy And Shiny
By: Pinki Tue, 20 Apr 2021 6:57 PM
Thousands of hair follicles are present in the scalp and contain oil-releasing glands known as sebaceous glands. The naturally secreted oil is responsible for the shiny and healthy appearance of your hair.
Sebum also helps lubricate and hydrate the hair. It reflects harmful solar radiations, which can cause photooxidation, leading to protein and color loss.
Several lifestyle factors can cause hair dullness, and in most cases, you can simply observe self-care measures and follow some home remedies to bring back the shine in your hair.
# Apply an egg mask
Egg masks are among the most used home remedies, and their use to achieve shiny, smooth hair is supported by scientific studies.
Egg yolks contain hair growth peptides and help improve the overall health of hair. Moreover, the fatty acid content of eggs helps nourish and moisturize hair, making it shiny.
- Mix 2 tbsp of coconut, olive, or vitamin E oil with 2 eggs and ½ cup of yogurt or honey. You can also use egg-based mayonnaise if you are out of eggs.
- Wet your hair and massage this mixture on the scalp and hair.
- Rinse after 30 minutes with cold water and shampoo your hair as usual.
# Oil your hair
Oiling regularly is highly useful in bringing back shine and health in your hair.
Several oils may be useful, including coconut, Moroccan argan, olive, jojoba, sunflower, almond, and avocado oils. These oils have a high fatty acid content that can help moisturize dry hair.
- Slightly warm any of the oils and massage into your hair and scalp. Leave it overnight or shampoo your hair after 30 minutes.
- Mix any of the oils in your conditioner and use.
# Rinse your hair with coffee
The use of coffee can boost hair health and growth. The polyphenols and bioflavonoids in coffee are thought to help make your hair smooth, shiny, and soft.
Moreover, coffee can help moisturize the hair and improve blood circulation to the hair follicles.
- Massage damp hair with cooled, brewed coffee and allow it to sit for 15 minutes before rinsing.
- Mix brewed coffee with your leave-in conditioner and use.
# Use avocado
Substantial anecdotal evidence supports the efficacy of avocado in improving hair health, although scientific evidence is lacking.
The vitamin and fatty acid present in avocado are believed to impart shine to hair and make it look healthy.
- Mash one avocado and mix in 2 tbsp of olive or almond oil. You can also add a ripe, mashed banana to this.
- Apply the mixture on slightly damp hair from roots to ends.
- Wash your hair after 30 minutes.
# Wash with apple cider vinegar or beer
Washing the hair with beer or apple cider vinegar (ACV) to improve its smoothness and shine is based on anecdotal evidence rather than scientific studies.
The protein hop in beers is suggested to promote hair growth. Both beer and ACV help condition the hair and make it shiny.
- Mix ACV or beer with cold water.
- Apply the mixture to shampooed hair and scalp.
- Rinse after a few minutes.
# Apply yogurt
Yogurt is a popular anecdotal remedy that helps condition the hair, making it smooth and soft.
- Massage yogurt into your hair.
- Rinse it off with water after 15–20 minutes.
- Shampoo and condition your hair as usual.
# Put aloe vera gel
Aloe vera gel is an efficient moisturizing agent due to its polysaccharide content that can help make hair smooth and shiny.
- Mix 4 tbsp of aloe vera gel with 3 tbsp of yogurt and 2 tbsp of coconut oil.
- Apply the paste to damp hair.
- Rinse your hair after 30 minutes.
# Use honey
Honey is a natural humectant that can help hydrate and lock in moisture in the hair. Well-hydrated hair appears soft and shiny.
- Mix 1–2 tsp of almond or olive oil with organic honey.
- Apply the mixture to your hair.
- Rinse your hair after 15 minutes.