8 Natural Ways To Dark Hands And Feet
By: Kratika Fri, 16 Apr 2021 4:41 PM
Summers are here, and no one likes the harsh sun. Excess exposure to the sun tans your skin and also causes lots of skin problems. Harmful UV radiation strips the skin of its moisture content and eventually makes it appear pale and dull.
When talking about skin care, people often think of the facial skin and develop a skin care routine for it. They tend to ignore the hands and feet, which, while not as sensitive as the face, are also often exposed to the harsh environment.
This can result in darkening of the skin on the hands and feet, generally due to excessive sun exposure, the use of bronzing products and sunless tanning techniques, dust, pollution, or the lack of cleansing and exfoliation.
Therefore, it is important to also take proper care of the skin of your hands and feet. If you notice that your skin has become darker in these areas, you can try different treatments to even it out.
# Apply a turmeric mask
Curcumin, an active compound present in turmeric, has antioxidant properties that can lower melanin production and thus control skin darkening.
You can apply turmeric topically to the skin and also consume it orally in the form of turmeric milk, daily before bedtime, to improve your skin and general health.
- Mix turmeric with cold milk to form a paste. Apply a thin layer of the paste to your skin, and wash it off after 15–20 minutes. Repeat this remedy daily for effective results.
- Mix 1 tsp of turmeric with 2 tbsp of gram flour, 1 tbsp of curd, and lemon juice. Apply the paste to the affected areas, and leave it to dry. Rub off the paste gently once dry, and then rinse your skin.
- Form a thick paste by mixing ¼ tsp of turmeric with 2 tbsp of olive oil. Apply the paste to the skin. Wash it off after 10 minutes. Repeat this remedy 2–3 times a week.
# Use salt scrubs
Salt scrubs are effective in skin exfoliation, thus making it appear softer, smoother, and healthier. Using salt scrubs can boost skin detoxification as well.
- Mix 1 cup of Dead Sea salt or Epsom salt with ¼ cup of a carrier oil such as avocado, olive, or jojoba oil.
- Add 10–20 drops of lavender or eucalyptus essential oil.
- Massage this scrub gently on your hands and feet in circular motions.
- Wash your hands and feet after 15 minutes using lukewarm water.
# Try paraffin wax treatments
Paraffin wax treatments can smoothen, soften, and moisturize the skin. The wax also acts as a mild exfoliant to remove the buildup of dead skin cells. Paraffin wax can also lock in the moisture and give the skin a glossy finish.
- Melt 2–3 blocks of paraffin wax, and add olive oil and lavender essential oil to it.
- Cleanse your hands and feet with a mild soap, pat them dry, and apply moisturizer.
- Dip your hands and feet in the paraffin wax mixture, and lift them after a few seconds. Allow the wax to solidify to some extent.
- Dip your hands and feet in the paraffin wax mixture again, repeating this procedure 4–5 times until a paraffin glove forms on your hands and feet.
- Place a plastic bag over your hands and feet and fix it tightly. Leave it on for about 15 minutes, until the wax hardens.
- Once the wax hardens, pull off the plastic bag along with the paraffin wax.
# Make your own yogurt cream
Yogurt contains lactic acid, which causes skin lightening by removing the dead skin cells that make the skin dry, dark, and scaly. In addition, the vitamins and proteins in yogurt soften the skin and give it a natural glow.
Honey is another ingredient in this cream that hydrates and nourishes the skin. Turmeric is also added for its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that can soothe the skin.
- Mix 2 tbsp of yogurt with 1 tsp of turmeric. Add 1 tbsp honey to the yogurt mixture and mix well. Use this cream to massage your skin for a few minutes. Rinse it off after 10–15 minutes. Repeat this remedy twice a day for best results.
- Mix yogurt with equal amounts of rose water, and add 1 tsp of vegetable glycerine. Use this mixture to massage your hands and feet well. Rinse it off after 2–3 hours or overnight. Repeat this remedy daily.
# Rub some cucumber
Cucumber acts as a skin-lightening agent that improves skin discoloration and tanning. It works due to the presence of vitamin A, which helps control melanin production. Cucumber also helps hydrate the skin.
- Cut a fresh cucumber into thin slices and rub them on the darkened skin for 5 minutes. Leave the slices on the skin for another 15 minutes, and then rinse the area with water. Repeat this remedy 2–3 times a day. You can also rub potato slices on your skin to lighten it.
- Mix cucumber juice with lemon juice, and use the mixture to massage your skin. Rinse it off with cold water after 10–15 minutes. Repeat this remedy twice a day.
- You can also use cucumber with aloe vera gel. Simply blend one cucumber with 2 tbsp of aloe vera gel, and massage the mixture on your hands and feet. Rinse it off after 10 minutes. Repeat the remedy twice daily.
# Make an orange peel mask
The high vitamin C content of orange peels helps bleach the skin. Moreover, orange peels contain citric acid, which exfoliates the skin, revealing lighter, clearer skin.
- Mix orange peel powder with yogurt to form a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste to your hands and feet, and rub it off after 15–20 minutes.
- Use this remedy 1–2 times a week for effective results.
# Massage with raw milk
The use of raw milk is an age-old remedy for skin darkness. The abundant lactic acid in raw milk exfoliates and bleaches the skin. Moreover, raw milk moisturizes the skin, preventing dryness and cracking. Massaging your skin every day with raw milk can lighten dark skin over time.
- Massage your skin with raw milk daily.
- Allow the milk to stay on the skin for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off.
# Apply mashed papaya
Papaya is considered a natural bleaching agent that can make your skin glow.
- Rub the inside of a papaya skin on the dark areas. Wash the areas with water, and pat your skin dry.
- Mash a ripe papaya and add 1 cup of lemon juice to it. Use this mixture to massage your skin for a few minutes. Wash it off with cold water after half an hour. Repeat this remedy daily.