5 Effective Ways To Use Coconut Oil For Curly Hair
By: Pinki Fri, 22 Sept 2023 4:57:11
Maintaining healthy hair is difficult, especially for curly hair because it might attract excess dirt, grease, and sweat. Mother nature has provided a beautiful solution for that – coconut oil for curly hair. Coconut oil strengthens the roots, moisturizes the strands, and improves hair health. This article explains different ways to use coconut oil to get bouncy, voluminous, and beautiful curls. Keep reading.
What Is Coconut Oil?
Coconut oil, as the name suggests, is obtained from coconuts. The white flesh of coconuts is dried in the sun and pressed to extract coconut oil rich in saturated and unsaturated fats. The oil oxidizes slowly and can be stored for about 6 months at 24o C without getting rancid. But what makes coconut oil so good for curly hair? Keep reading to find out.
Why Is Coconut Oil Good For Curly Hair?
Coconut oil is considered beneficial for curly hair for several reasons:
# Deep Moisturization:
Curly hair tends to be naturally dry because the oils produced by the scalp have a harder time traveling down the hair shaft due to its curly nature. Coconut oil is highly effective at penetrating the hair shaft and providing deep hydration. It helps to lock in moisture, reducing frizz and preventing dryness, which is essential for maintaining healthy and well-defined curls.
# Frizz Control:
One of the most common challenges for individuals with curly hair is dealing with frizz. Coconut oil's ability to moisturize and seal the hair cuticle helps in taming frizz and keeping curls smooth and well-defined.
# Enhanced Shine:
Curly hair can sometimes appear dull due to its structure, which can reflect light unevenly. Coconut oil provides a natural shine to the hair, making curls appear more lustrous and vibrant.
Coconut oil is rich in fatty acids, particularly lauric acid, which can help strengthen the hair shaft. Stronger hair is less prone to breakage, which is crucial for maintaining the length and health of curly hair.
# Reduced Protein Loss:
Curly hair is also susceptible to protein loss, which can make it weaker and more prone to damage. Coconut oil has been shown to reduce protein loss in hair, helping to maintain its strength and integrity.
# Improved Hair Texture:
When used regularly, coconut oil can lead to improved hair texture in curly hair. It can help make the hair feel softer, smoother, and more manageable.
# Natural Ingredient:
Coconut oil is a natural and chemical-free option for hair care. It doesn't contain harmful additives often found in commercial hair products, making it a safer choice for those who prefer natural solutions.
5 Ways To Use Coconut Oil For Curly Hair
# Coconut Oil Hair Mask
Applying warm coconut oil to your curls once or twice a week can be highly effective, cost-efficient, and time-saving.
- Take a tablespoon of coconut oil and microwave it for 2 to 3 seconds until it warms slightly.
- Allow it to cool for a moment.
- Gently massage the warm oil into your hair and scalp.
- Leave it on for 30 to 45 minutes, then rinse with shampoo and follow up with a curly hair conditioner.
Note: For a lighter application, you can also apply a small amount of coconut oil to wet hair to enhance your curls.
# Coconut Oil and Almond Oil Hair Mask
Combining coconut oil with almond oil is particularly effective for moisturizing coarse and dry hair.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of coconut oil with 1 tablespoon of almond oil.
- Section your hair and apply the mixture from the roots to the tips.
- Secure your hair in a bun and allow it to sit for 30 minutes before washing it out.
# Coconut Oil and Lime Juice Hair Mask
Lime juice is known for its dandruff-fighting properties, although direct application to the scalp can be irritating. Blending it with coconut oil can mitigate this issue.
- Take 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and massage it into your scalp and hair strands.
- Optionally, you can use a bit more coconut oil to massage just onto your scalp.
- Lightly dab lime juice onto your scalp using a cotton ball.
- After 10 to 15 minutes, wash your hair.
Note: Perform a patch test to check for scalp sensitivity before using lime juice. If you have a sensitive scalp, avoid using it.
# Coconut Oil and Egg White Hair Mask
Egg white is rich in albumin protein, which helps restore hair shine and smoothes hair texture without causing excess oiliness or dryness. Additionally, egg whites have a milder odor compared to egg yolks.
- Separate the egg white from the yolk using a yolk separator.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of coconut oil with the egg white (do not beat).
- Section your hair and apply the mixture to the roots and strands.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes before washing with shampoo.
# Coconut Oil and Fenugreek Hair Mask
Fenugreek is known to reduce hair loss and promote hair growth.
- Soak 1 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in 3 teaspoons of water overnight.
- Use the soaked water to create a paste with the seeds.
- Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to the paste.
- Apply the mixture to the roots and strands of your hair.
- After 20 minutes, wash your hair with shampoo.