6 Natural Ways To Smooth Hair At Home
By: Pinki Tue, 26 Sept 2023 3:43:50
Curious about achieving smooth and easily manageable hair? No need to fret; we've got solutions for you.
Despite daily combing and trying out countless serums, taming tangly and coarse hair can often prove challenging. This can result in your hair appearing lackluster, unruly, and frizzy. However, attaining smooth, frizz-free locks is entirely feasible. In this article, we explore diverse home hair-smoothing methods. Continue reading to discover more.
Ways To Smoothen Hair
There are two ways you can smoothen your hair: chemical smoothing and regular hair styling.
- Chemical Smoothing: This method uses chemicals like formaldehyde, alkalines, etc. to treat your hair (1). It is a permanent treatment that lasts for at least 12-15 weeks. You will have to get it redone every few months to keep your hair looking smooth.
In a study conducted on 1,555 women, it was reported that 89% of them have used chemical products or straighteners to smoothen or straighten their hair. It was also observed that there was also a higher usage of chemical and leave-on conditioner to smoothen hair. So you can use these hair products or natural remedies to make hair smooth and straight.
- Natural Smoothing: This method uses regular hairstyling tips to smooth your hair. It is temporary but very efficient. It does not heavily change the structure of hair, as chemical smoothing does. With the right care and management, you can achieve smooth and healthy hair.
While these methods are temporary, natural smoothing is likely to improve the health of your hair, in the long run, making it smooth and shiny. Read on to know more about these two smoothing methods and decide which one would be the ideal choice for you.
# Rinse With Cold Water
Coldwater rinsing eliminates frizz and imparts a straightened appearance to your hair. Following the washing and conditioning of your detangled locks, consider several coldwater rinses. Instead of vigorous drying or scrunching, opt for gently patting your hair dry. Another effective technique is applying a straightening or anti-frizz conditioner before the coldwater rinse. This cold rinse will seal in the anti-frizz properties of the conditioner, ensuring your hair remains both smooth and well-conditioned.
# Banana Pack
Banana is rich in carbohydrates, vitamins, natural oils, and potassium. It has antioxidant potential that helps fight free radicals. Using banana in a hair pack will make your hair feel nourished and moisturized. It reduces frizz and soothes an irritated scalp with regular use. The benefits of banana can be enhanced by adding yogurt to it, which is also an excellent hair moisturizer.
You Will Need
1 ripe banana
2 teaspoons yogurt
- Mash a ripe banana and add two teaspoons of yogurt to it.
- Blend it to get a smooth paste so that no chunks of the banana remain.
- Apply this all over the hair, starting from the tips and work up until the crown.
- Rinse off after 45 minutes with a shampoo.
# Vinegar Rinse
Apple cider vinegar has been in use as a natural hair rinse for a long time now. Our hair has a pH of 5.5, but the shampoos and conditioners we use are strongly alkaline. Although there is no scientific evidence, anecdotal evidence suggests that apple cider vinegar helps maintain the pH balance of our scalp while cleaning the build-up that might have formed from the excessive use of products. Rinsing your hair with the vinegar will close the cuticles of your hair and make it smoother, softer, and shinier.
You Will Need
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
- Dilute apple cider vinegar with water.
- Use this as the final rinse after washing your hair and leave it on.
# Hot Oil Treatment
A hot oil massage once a week will not only give you healthy and smooth hair, but it will also help you de-stress. Use oils, such as coconut, olive, sweet almond, jojoba, castor, lavender, rosemary, and thyme, to massage your hair. You can also use the combination of these oils for better results.
You Will Need
2-3 tablespoons of oil, depending on the length of your hair
- Massage your scalp with the oil and apply it to all of your hair.
- After massaging your scalp, wrap your head with a warm towel. This creates an environment that allows for maximum penetration of the oil.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes and then wash off the oil with shampoo for glossy hair.
# Use A Shampoo For Your Hair Type
A shampoo cleanses your scalp and also makes your hair smooth and soft. However, you should always use a shampoo that is suited to your hair.
Another safe idea to cleanse your hair is to use natural ingredients.
- Make your own natural shampoo by boiling dried Indian gooseberry (amla), shikakai, and reetha.
- Let it boil until you get a soapy solution.
- Use this to wash your hair at least twice a week to get shiny and smooth hair.
# Careful Combing
Go easy on the brushing. Combing or brushing your hair too much will cause friction, which will make your hair frizzy. Restrict combing your hair to a bare minimum, and never do it when your hair is wet. Wet hair is more prone to breakage. A good combing schedule involves detangling your hair before a shower with a wide-toothed wooden comb and then combing it once or twice a day to style and get rid of tangles.