- Fashion Trends›
- Everything You Need To Know About Belt Your Wear And Tips To Choose A Perfect One
Everything You Need To Know About Belt Your Wear And Tips To Choose A Perfect One
By: Kratika Mon, 13 Feb 2023 5:24:03
Men don't have as many accessories to flaunt as women do, it is just a few that can elevate their look quickly. Belts for men have been the most common yet essential accessory since the bronze age. It is an essential piece that completes your whole look, especially when it comes to the formals.
Not wearing a belt to the formal setting portrays it as if you left home in a total hassle and forgot to check yourself in the mirror. Over the ages, the progression of this particular accessory has been quite impressive.
The different kinds of belts that have exploded the market are classic belts, different kinds of leather belts, braided belts, sports belts, dress belts, elastic belts, and the list goes on. The use of belts has been converted from being a utilitarian accessory to an ornament one and it does play an important role in ever-changing fashion trends around the globe.
# How did the belt come into existence?
The traces of belts can be traced back to the bronze age and it is somewhat of an ambiguous period. It is believed that belts were used as utilitarian accessories with no aesthetic purpose. In the bronze age, the concept of pockets was alien to the people so people used to wear belts to carry their belongings.
The first belt was created to carry tools so they made it strong and steady and it is also believed that belts were also made from large cuts of fabric. They were used as a part of garments to protect the wearer from the weather.
It is believed that belts were used as a primarily utilitarian accessory to carry weapons and tools. During the Roman and Greek empires, men from the military wore belts around their waist and kept their weapons in place. The Greek and Roman military used leather belts for their durability and flexibility that gave them freedom of movement and protection as well.
The belts, somewhat not played an essential role in the military later but the rise of belts in fashion is still getting on the sky. In the medieval period, belts became very common and a major indicator of social status. The upper class wore more bulky belts with chains and heavy buckles and the lower class was spotted with simple leather belts with pouches to hold coins. This piece of accessories was highly honored in the Mongolian culture that they used exchange belts as their good exchange with alliances.
Over the centuries, the transformation of the essential accessory has evolved drastically, it is quite impressive and its importance is still intact, keeping it as a statement of professionalism and class. So are you thinking about stepping up your belt game, let's start with understanding the part of the belt.
# How to pick a belt?
Since a belt is an item that doesn't burn a hole in your pocket, just a few good-quality belts will get you through every eventuality. We have listed a few points that can help you choose your belt wisely.
- Leather: The most common material for belts, this is most suitable for any formal kind of formal belt. It goes well in the casual category as well. A good quality leather belt will push your look for a longer duration.
- Suede: This is a very common material used for casual belts since it is very durable providing good strength and durability while maintaining the look, it can be worn on formal outfits as well. This is a perfect material if you want a change from your standard leather belt.
- Cotton: It is a common casual belt, yet it is affordable. It comes in different types of material and is considered to be the most relaxed belt of them all. This is the perfect material to wear on a casual day-out or picnic etc.
- Frame-style buckle: It is mostly seen on all the formal belts, the strap goes through the frame and the prong goes through the holed according to waist size.
- Plate-style buckle: It is not a proper buckle but a quick snap buckle that is detachable and can be worn with different shades of straps. The hook goes from the front of the strap.
- Box-frame buckle: The buckle is in the shape of the buckle and it is hollow and open-ended, there are no holes and prongs in this belt. The strap is pressed against the box to adjust it accordingly.
- O-ring/D-ring buckle: It has two rings in the form of the buckle, the strap is threaded through both of them and is adjusted accordingly.
Some extra tips that make you elevate your look with all your belts.
- Belts match your shoes: This is the best hack to elevate the look, especially when you dress for the office or any professional meeting. When you wear shoes other than the standard colour then pair them with basic black or tan colour.
- Choose the right size: The ideal belt size should be 1-2 inches longer than the size of your pant’s waist.