Recipe- Very Popular Gujarati Kadhi
By: Pinki Sat, 27 Feb 2021 2:47 PM
Gujarati kadhi is a yogurt based thin curry. Usually most of the kadhi are made with yogurt and gram flour. But the ratio of both differs in each state so each kadhi taste different . In Gujarati kadhi good quantity of yogurt or buttermilk is used and gram flour is added in small quantity. This kadhi is quite thinner then the Punjabi style kadhi.
No pakoda or vegetables are added in this kadhi . It is like a tangy thin soup . The taste is slight sweet ,sour and spicy. The amount of sugar added in this kadhi depends on individual choice, Some prefer it sweeter and some just add a pinch of sugar.
1 liter Sour Buttermilk / Chaas check notes
5 tbsp Gram flour / Besan
1.5 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
4 Green chili / hari mirch chopped
1/4 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
Pinch Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder optional
1 tsp Salt / Namak
4 tbsp Sugar / Chini
2 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
2 Cloves / Lavang
1/2 inch Cinnamon / Daalchini
4 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
4 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
12 Curry Leaves / Mitha Neem
8 kokum pieces
* Take 1 cup buttermilk and gram flour in a bowl and mix well with a whisk or hand blender to remove any lumps and then add the remaining buttermilk and mix again.
* In a broad and deep cooking pan heat ghee and add all the tempering ingredients Cumin seeds, Fenugreek Seeds and mustard seeds, and let it crackle on low flame,when seeds start crackling add cloves, cinnamon,cardamom, asafoetida, slit green chilies and whole red chilies ,saute and now pour the prepared buttermilk mixture in the pan.
* Add salt ,sugar, chopped ginger, kokum and curry leaves in the kadhi and simmer it for 15-20 minutes. keep stirring and let it boil on medium heat.
* Add chopped green coriander and 1.5 t.s lemon juice and serve hot.
* Serving suggestions - Serve with khichdi,pulao,daal rice or roti.