7 Funny Facts About The United Kingdom
By: Sandeep Thu, 11 Jan 2018 11:41:41
One of the world’s most influential, powerful, and richest countries, the United Kingdom is an amazing piece of land with a very impressive history and we are almost sure you already know many interesting things about it. However, we bet there are still many United Kingdom fun facts you haven’t heard yet. To learn some new, little known facts about Great Britain including some surprising and interesting facts about England’s history, check out this post with 7 Fun Facts About The United Kingdom You’ll Want To Know.
* With an area of 242,500 sq km (93,600 sq mi), the UK is quite a large country, but in fact, nowhere in it is more than just 113 km (70 mi) from the sea.
* At one point in time, the British Empire, the most extensive empire in world history, ruled approximately 1/4 of the world's population and covered about 1/4 of Earth's total land area.
* The UK is known for its rainy and cold weather, but it can actually get very hot in summer. In 2003, a temperature exceeding 38 C (100 F) was recorded in Kent, southeastern England.
* According to the Romanian National Tourist Office, Prince Charles is a distant relative of Vlad the Impaler, a notorious Romanian ruler from the 15 century that inspired Bram Stoker's iconic novel Dracula.
* In 1811, nearly a quarter of all the women in Britain were named Mary.
* Concentration camps are inseparably associated with the Nazi Germans during the WWII, but in fact, they were first used by the British long before that. In the early 1900's, the British soldiers used these “camps” to imprison the Boers in the Boer Wars in South Africa.
* With 500 recorded cases of ghostly encounters, York, Northern England, is the most haunted city in the UK and one of the most haunted in the world.