Recipe- Healthy And Diabetic Friendly Oats Upma
By: Kratika Tue, 24 May 2022 2:48 PM
Oats upma is a healthy, easy to make and delicious breakfast recipe. Made with rolled oats or instant oats this dish is filling, healthy and perfect for weight watchers. This is a vegan, diabetic-friendly and gluten-free nutritious recipe.
Upma is a traditional Indian breakfast & snack dish made using semolina / rava. Upma is one of the favourite and common breakfast recipes that is mostly made in south India and in Maharashtra. Oats upma is one such variation in which instead of semolina/rava oats are used.
1 Cup Oats
1 Big onion finely chopped
1 teaspoon urdal dal (skinned & split black gram)
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
6-8 curry leaves
2-3 green chillies finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Salt to taste
2 tablespoon oil
1 1/2 cup hot boiling water (this depends on how mushy you require your oats to be, hence add accordingly)
Coriander leaves (Cialntro) for garnish
Incase you want to add vegetables then finely chopped carrots, french bean and green peas goes well with this oats upma. You may add any vegetable of your choice.
- Let’s keep 2 bowls of water to boil so that we can have it ready when adding to the upma.
- In a kadhai or thick bottom pan, dry roast the oats for about 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Switch off the gas and transfer the roasted oats onto a plate.
- In the same kadhai or pan, heat oil. Add urad dal (black gram) and stir till it changes colour to light golden brown. Keep the flame low here as we do not want to burn the dal.
- Now add mustard seeds, curry leaves, finely chopped green chilled, hing (asafoetida) and finely chopped onions.
- Saute onions till translucent. Add the roasted oats along with salt and sugar and mix well for a minute.
- Now its time to add the boiling water, add it carefully as does splutter a lot. Mix well and check for seasoning.
- You will need to adjust the water as per the consistency of upma you need. I do not like mushy upma, hence I have used one and a half cup of water.
- Cover and cook oats upma for about 5-7 minutes. Stir occasionally a couple of times.
- Healthy and nutritious oats upma is ready.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with a cup of tea or coffee.