Recipe- Kerala Style Egg Curry
By: Kratika Sat, 19 June 2021 7:44 PM
A light, yellow colored sauce, subtly spiced egg curry that is flavored with coconut milk and garam masala, makes for a delectable side with Kerala style breakfast dishes like Appam, Puttu and Idiyappam. Very quick to make provided you have coconut milk on hand. I used fresh home made coconut milk using home grown coconuts. The egg curry made for a divine accompaniment with Idiyappam.
Eggs 4, hard boiled, peeled
Onion 1, finely sliced (large)
Green chilies 2, slit lengthwise
Ginger 1", finely minced
Curry leaves 1 sprig
Tomato 1, finely chopped
Garam masala powder 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder 1/2 tsp (optional)
Coconut milk 1 1/2 cups, thin
Thick coconut milk 3/4 to 1 cup
Black Pepper powder 1/2 tsp (crushed)
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Red Chilies 1, tear and de-seed
Coconut oil 1 1/2 tbsps (or any oil)
* Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel, add the mustard seeds and allow them to splutter. Add the red chilies and saute for few seconds.
* Add sliced onions, few curry leaves, minced ginger and green chilies and saute for 5 minutes.
* Add coriander powder, turmeric powder and mix. Add the tomatoes and saute for 4 mts.
* Add salt to taste and thin coconut milk and cook on low to medium flame for 7- 8 minutes. Stir once in a while.
* Add the eggs and cook for 2 mts. Add garam masala powder, crushed pepper and the remaining curry leaves.
* Add the thick coconut milk and cook on low flame for a minute and turn off heat. Serve with rice, appam, puttu, idiyappam or rotis.