Recipe- Perfect Chai Time Snack Brinjal Fritters
By: Kratika Fri, 19 Feb 2021 3:32 PM
Want to try a delicious snack recipe for your Chai time or get togethers, here I am with a gluten-free and Vegan Beguni or Eggplant Fritters. Also known as Baigan Ke Pakore in Northern part of India.
Eggplant or Aubergine is known as Brinjal in India. It is also known with different local names in different States of India Begun (Bengali), Ringna (Gujarathi), Baingan ( Hindi), Badane (Kannada), Waangum (Kashmiri), Vange ( Marathi), Baigan (Oriya), Vashuthana (Malayalam), Kathiri (Tamil), Venkaya (Telugu) and Peethabhala (Sanskrit).
It is used in making different curries as per regional preferences, best enjoyed with Chapatis or as a side with Dal Rice.
1 Eggplant Medium Size
1/2 Cup Chickpea Flour
2 tbsp Rice Flour
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2-1 Red Chilli Powder or as preferred
1/2 tsp Kalonji/Nigella Seeds
1 tsp Salt or as per taste
Oil for Frying Preferably Mustard Oil
* Wash the eggplant nicely.
* Cut into thin roundels or any shape you like..( thin long strips)
* Rub some salt on cut pieces.
* Wash in water and pat dry on kitchen towel before adding to batter.
* Mix all the rest of ingredients under batter and make a thick batter.
* Heat Mustard oil in a kadhai or pan.
* Dip each roundel in batter and fry till light brown on both the sides.
* Fry on high heat first then on medium to lower heat for a crispy outer covering and soft inside.
* Serve hot with your favourite chutney or as a side with dal rice.