Recipe- Traditional Style Kosambari
By: Pinki Wed, 17 Aug 2022 1:37 PM
Kosambari is a traditional salad from Karnataka. Its typically served as a part of the meal during festivals, weddings and gatherings. The soaked dals are combined with cucumber, carrot, coconut and tempered with mustard seeds, green chilly and asafetida. Its a healthy raw salad, loaded with protein.
Yellow Moong dal- ½ cup
Chana dal- 1 tbsp
Medium Cucumber- 1
Small carrot – 1 (grated)
Freshly grated coconut-1 tbsp
Finely chopped Coriander leaves- 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Lemon juice – 1 to 2 tsps
Oil- 2 tsps
Mustard seeds- ¼th tsp
Small Green chilly- 2, finely chopped
Asafetida- a pinch, hing
- Soak the Moong dal and Chana dal in water for two hours.
- After two hours, drain the excess water from the dal and set a side.
- Peel the cucumber and finely chop it.
- Grate the carrot and chop the coriander leaves.
- In a bowl combine the dals, cucumber, carrot, coriander leaves, coconut, salt and lemon juice
Tempering for the kosambari
- In a small pan heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. When the mustard pop, add the green chilly and asafetida.
- Fry for few seconds and turn off the heat.
- Add the tempering to the dal mixture.
- Taste the kosambari and adjust the seasoning.
- Enjoy the salad as a snack or as apart of the meal.