Recipe - Punjabi Style Achari Dahi Bhindi: A Spicy And Tangy Delight
By: Pinki Fri, 09 June 2023 01:06:01
Punjabi Style Achari Dahi Bhindi is a delectable dish that combines the rich flavors of bhindi (okra) with tangy pickling spices and creamy yogurt. This traditional Punjabi recipe is loved for its unique blend of spices and the vibrant taste it brings to the table. In this article, we will guide you through the process of preparing Punjabi Style Achari Dahi Bhindi, ensuring you achieve the perfect balance of flavors in every bite.
Preparation and Cooking Time:
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
500 grams bhindi (okra), washed and dried
2 tablespoons mustard oil (or any cooking oil)
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji)
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi)
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur)
1 cup yogurt, whisked
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander leaves, chopped (for garnish)
Trim and slit the bhindi:
- Trim the ends of the bhindi and slit them lengthwise, making sure not to cut them all the way through. This will allow the flavors to penetrate the bhindi while cooking.
Heat oil and temper the spices:
- Heat mustard oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, nigella seeds, and fenugreek seeds.
- Allow the seeds to crackle and release their aroma.
Add spices and bhindi:
- Reduce the heat to low and add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, and dry mango powder to the pan.
- Stir the spices for a few seconds to release their flavors.
- Add the slit bhindi to the pan and mix well, ensuring the spices coat the bhindi evenly.
Cook the bhindi:
- Cover the pan and cook the bhindi on low heat for about 15-20 minutes or until it becomes tender, stirring occasionally.
- The bhindi should be cooked but still retain some crispness.
Add yogurt and simmer:
- Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and add the whisked yogurt to the pan.
- Stir gently to combine the yogurt with the bhindi and spices.
- Simmer the mixture for another 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
Garnish and serve:
- Remove the pan from heat and garnish the Achari Dahi Bhindi with fresh coriander leaves.
- Transfer the dish to a serving bowl and serve hot with roti, paratha, or steamed rice.