5 Homemade Hair Masks To Get Healthy And Shiny Hair
By: Pinki Mon, 26 Sept 2022 12:53 PM
In our bid to make our hair soft and healthy, most of us spend hefty cash on haircare products that promise to give us strong, perfect hair. As much as we fancy “model-like” hair, the chemical products we opt for, more often than not, cause intense damage to our hair.
But unfortunately, leaving your tresses unprotected is not an option. Even if you wash and condition your hair regularly, the pollution that you’re exposed to takes away the moisture from your hair, leaving it dry and brittle. A welcome alternative to your chemical-laden haircare products is natural hair masks. A combination of safe and non-toxic natural ingredients, these DIY masks will put your hair woes to rest and give you soft, healthy and envy-worthy locks.
# Buttermilk And Lemon Juice Hair Mask
Buttermilk is a probiotic, which is known to fortify your hair. It helps in the development of your hair follicles and strengthens your hair. Buttermilk also nourishes your hair and fights dandruff and flaky scalp.
Additionally, the vitamin C present in lemon juice acts as an antioxidant and prevents hair damage. It is also believed that lemon juice can aid hair growth and give you the long mane you’ve always wanted.
How To Use
- Mix 1/2 cup buttermilk with 1/2 tbsp lemon juice.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp.
- Gently massage your scalp in circular motion.
- Wash your hair after 20 minutes.
# Arrowroot And Tea Tree Oil Hair Mask
If you suffer from an oily scalp, consider using arrowroot powder on your hair. It works as a natural alternative to commercial dry shampoo powder, which can be pretty expensive. Arrowroot powder can moisturize your hair, and reduce the greasiness on your scalp and hair strands.
Tea tree oil, meanwhile, is an essential oil that’s popular for its ability to nourish and hydrate your hair. It also fights dandruff and keeps your scalp healthy. This mask also doubles as a dry shampoo!
How To Use
- Mix a few drops of tea tree oil to a cup of arrowroot powder.
- Apply the mixture to the roots of your hair.
- After 15 minutes, brush out the powder from the hair.
# Mango Butter Hair Mask
Derived from the seed of juice mangoes, mango butter is highly beneficial for your hair. Rich in vitamin C, mango butter reverses hair damage caused due to chemical hair products. It also softens and moisturizes your hair strands and locks in the moisture in your scalp. Plus, mango butter makes your hair smell great!
How To Use
- Coat your hair stands with mango butter.
- Massage your scalp with the butter for about 5 minutes.
- Let the mask sit overnight.
- Wash it off the next day.
# Egg Yolk And Avocado Hair Mask
Avocado is not only delicious but also nutritious, even for your hair! The healthy fats present in avocados rejuvenate and hydrate your scalp. They also help combat dry and brittle hair. Avocados also contain high amounts of vitamin B and E, which work together to improve hair growth and repair damaged hair.3
Egg yolk is recommended by hair experts as a natural remedy for hair loss. Rich in protein and vitamin B7 (or biotin), egg yolk can strengthen your hair follicle, moisturize your strands, and provide volume to your hair.
How To Use
- Puree the avocado scoop and egg yolks until you obtain a lump-free consistency.
- Gently massage the mix into your scalp and hair for about 5 minutes.
- Leave the mask on to dry for 15-20 minutes.
- Use cold water to wash the mask off.
# Milk And Honey Hair Mask
Used in commercial hair conditioners, honey can make your hair soft and silky. About 18% of honey is water, which hydrates and keeps your hair healthy. By regularly applying honey to your hair, you can increase the volume and luster of your tresses.
Milk is rich in protein, which strengthens your hair follicles and repairs damaged strands of your hair. It also moisturizes your hair and prevents hair loss.
How To Use
- Mix 2 tbsp honey to half a cup of milk.
- Let it sit for an hour.
- Gently massage the paste into your scalp.
- Rinse it off after 20 minutes.