6 Remedies To Treat Hair Thinning At Home
By: Kratika Wed, 14 Sept 2022 1:58 PM
Minor to moderate hair loss is hair thinning and it is really painful to watch your hair thin out and it can affect an individual’s mental health and self-esteem. Hair thinning starts gradually and gives the appearance of thinner spots of hair. The moment you observe the onset of hair thinning make sure to pinpoint the causes and figure out the best treatments for you. This article will share some effective home remedies to boost hair thickness and strength.
Before going further with the remedies, let’s see the various factors that cause hair thinning.
# Onion Juice
Onion is rich in sulphur which can reduce breakage and thinning of hair. It has antibacterial properties and can fight with scalp infections, making scalp healthy thereby reducing hair fall. Rich in antioxidants, onion can also help in reversing the effects of premature graying. It contains nutrients that nourish the hair follicles, helps in improving blood circulation and can increase the volume, shine and hair strength.
- Depending on the length of your hair, take 1 to 2 onions.
- Peel them, cut in four parts and put them in a grinder.
- Add a little amount of water to grind them properly.
- Now pass this mixture through a sieve or muslin cloth to get the juice.
- Now, dip a cotton ball in onion juice and apply it to your scalp.
- Massage your scalp with your fingertips gently giving circular movements.
- After 40 minutes, shampoo your hair followed by a conditioner.
- The application of onion juice once a week for at least two months will give good results.
# Aloe Vera
Next, on the list of home remedies to treat hair thinning is a combination of aloe vera gel and castor oil. So, extract aloe vera gel from its leaf and then put it into a food processor to get the required consistency. In case, you don’t have aloe vera plant around you then, you can definitely go for aloe vera gel available in the market but make sure that it is 100% pure. The presence of proteolytic enzymes in aloe vera boost hair growth by repairing damaged cells in the scalp.
- Mix 2-3 tablespoons of aloe vera gel with 1 tablespoon of castor oil in a clean bowl.
- Apply this mixture to your hair focusing on roots and tips for 2-3 hours and wash off the mixture with a mild shampoo.
Eggs are a rich source of proteins and our hair is made up of 70% Keratin, which is a type of protein. So, eating eggs or applying them in the form of a mask can be really helpful in getting beautiful thick long hair. Eggs also contain biotin that reduces hair loss and promotes hair growth. The combination of eggs with onion juice plays a very important role in treating hair thinning.
- Take a clean bowl and whisk one egg and 1 tablespoon onion juice together in a bowl.
- Now, apply this mixture to your hair.
- Let it sit for about 30 minutes.
- Then, wash your hair with a mild herbal shampoo and use cool water. Make sure not to use hot water to remove this hair mask.
- Condition your hair well and let it air dry.
# Ginger Paste
One of the reasons behind hair loss and hair thinning is free radicals. The anti-oxidant properties of ginger help in fighting against these free radicals thereby controlling hair loss. Moreover, ginger ensures proper and better nourishment to the hair follicles by boosting the circulation of blood to the scalp thereby increasing hair strength and preventing hair loss. Moreover, ginger has nourishing and anti-microbial properties which make it effective in tackling hair fall and stimulating hair growth.
- Take ginger root, peel it, chop it roughly and put it in a blender along with some water. Blend it until well pureed.
- Apply this paste to your scalp for 40 minutes and then shampoo your hair.
# Coconut Oil
Coconut oil helps in reducing hair loss. It has antibacterial properties that keeps the bacteria at bay thereby keeping the hair follicles healthy. Moreover, it improves the blood circulation of the scalp thereby nourishing the follicles and ensuring healthy and strong hair.
- Take 2 tablespoons of warm coconut oil in a bowl and with the help of your fingertips, massage this oil into your scalp for around 15 minutes.
- Let the oil stay for another half an hour and then wash your hair with a shampoo.
- You can also leave the oil in your hair overnight and rinse off the next morning.
# Flax Seeds
Furthermore, on the list of home remedies to treat hair thinning is Flax seeds. These contain Lignans (fiber-like compounds) that act as strong antioxidants and help to protect hair cells from the normal aging process which leads to thinning of hair. Moreover, they help to reduce hair loss that is caused due to hormonal imbalances and menopause.
- Take some flaxseeds and grind them to powder in a grinder.
- Now, take one tablespoon of this powder in a clean bowl and add one egg and 1 tablespoon of olive/coconut oil.
- Mix well and apply this mixture to your scalp and hair.
- Keep this for 40-45 minutes and shampoo your hair with cold water.