7 Home Remedies That Can Help Improve Hair Health And Prevent Dryness
By: Pinki Tue, 20 Apr 2021 10:24 PM
The hair is naturally coated with a layer of oil or sebum released by the sebaceous glands in the hair follicles. This layer of oil protects the hair from damage and dryness.
However, various factors can strip the oil of the hair, such as the use of styling tools, exposure chemicals, extreme weather conditions, and certain medical conditions.
Irrespective of the cause, it is important to improve your hair care routine to help manage dry hair in order to prevent hair damage and complications.
# Oil your hair
Oiling your hair is essential to rehydrating your hair and improving hair health. Coconut oil, olive oil, and Moroccan argan oil are the most commonly used hair oils as they have a high content of fatty acids that can penetrate the hair and moisturize it.
You can also use jojoba, castor, almond, and avocado oil.
- Massage the scalp and hair with slightly warm oil and leave it overnight. You may also apply the oil 30 minutes before shampooing your hair.
- Mix any oil in your conditioner and use.
- Apply hair oil to slightly damp hair, especially before blow-drying.
# Use egg or mayonnaise masks
Egg masks are a popular home remedy for dry hair. The peptides in egg yolks help improve hair health, (4) while the fatty acids help hydrate the hair and lock in moisture.
- Beat one egg and add ½ cup of honey or yogurt, one scoop of avocado, and 1–2 tbsp of coconut, vitamin E, or olive oil to it. You can substitute mayonnaise for the egg. Mix well.
- Massage the mixture on slightly damp hair and scalp.
- Wash after 30 minutes and shampoo as regular.
# Apply avocado
While there is no scientific evidence to it, avocado has been used anecdotally as a home remedy for dry hair. It is thought that the vitamins and fatty acids in avocados can make the hair smooth and shiny.
- Mash one avocado and add 2 tbsp of coconut or olive oil and 1 tbsp honey or yogurt to it. Mix well.
- Apply the mixture to washed hair.
- Leave it for 30 minutes and rinse.
# Make a honey mask
Honey is another popular anecdotal home remedy that helps moisturize the hair. The high sugar concentration of honey acts as a natural humectant.
- Mix 1–2 tsp of olive oil with 1–2 tbsp of raw, organic honey.
- Apply the mixture to the hair.
- Leave it for 15 minutes and rinse.
# Use shea butter
Shea butter can help treat damaged hair. It has a high vitamin and fat content that helps deeply moisturize and nourish the hair.
- Massage some shea butter in your dry hair and shampoo after 20–25 minutes.
- Use hair products that contain shea butter.
# Rinse with apple cider vinegar or beer
The use of apple cider vinegar (ACV) or beer for conditioning the hair is based on anecdotal evidence.
How to use ACV: Mix ¼ cup of ACV with ¾ cup water, and use the mixture as a hair rinse. Condition your hair after.
How to use beer: Shampoo your hair first, and rinse it with beer instead of using a conditioner.
# Use aloe vera gel
Aloe vera gel is a natural moisturizing agent, owing to its content of mucopolysaccharides that bind to the hair easily.
- Mix 4 tbsp of aloe vera gel with 3 tbsp of yogurt and 2 tbsp of coconut oil.
- Apply the paste to damp hair.
- Rinse with water after 30 minutes.