7 Popular Benefits Of Honey For Skin And Hair
By: Kratika Tue, 06 Apr 2021 4:43 PM
Honey is a viscous, sticky liquid that is not only popular for its sweet taste but also widely used for its beneficial healing properties. Honey has multifarious properties, including antibacterial, antiseptic, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory qualities.
Additionally, honey has a high number of calories due to its fructose content. It is also rich in vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B, iron, copper, calcium, and zinc, which have positive effects on your overall health.
Aside from these benefits, honey can also be a highly great addition to your hair and skin care routine. With regular use, it can improve your skin health, giving it a natural radiant glow.
Also, honey can be used together with other natural ingredients found in your kitchen to address various skin and hair issues.
# Deep moisturization
Honey is often used as a base for different skin products due to its moisturizing properties. The enzymatic composition of honey enables it to penetrate deep into the skin, helping condition, nourish, and soften the skin from within.
- Apply raw honey on your dry skin and rinse it off with cold water after 15–20 minutes.
- Mix 1 tbsp of honey, 1 slice of avocado, and 1–2 tbsp of coconut or olive oil. Use this mixture to massage your skin gently in circular motions.
# Prevention of acne and pimples
The anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties of honey go a long way in treating and preventing acne and associated infections. Applying honey to acne can reduce the swelling and redness.
Moreover, honey helps clean out the accumulated cell debris and dirt from your skin pores, thus preventing pimple and acne formation in the first place. This effect is also enhanced by the oil-controlling properties of honey.
- Apply raw honey to acne lesions as a spot treatment.
- For acne breakouts, apply a thin layer of honey all over your face and neck and wash it off after 15 minutes.
- To prevent breakouts, apply honey to acne-prone skin for 30 minutes.
# Gentle exfoliation and cleansing
Raw honey can crystallize over time, forming tiny granules that can be used to exfoliate the skin. These granules break down with heat and water, thus acting as a gentle scrub and cleanser for the skin.
Moreover, the antibacterial properties of honey make it an excellent cleansing agent suitable for daily use. In fact, honey can also act as a natural makeup remover when mixed with coconut oil.
- Rub some honey between your palms or fingers to warm it, and apply it to your skin in circular motions. Leave it on for a few minutes, and then scrub it off by massaging your skin with a wet towel.
- To use honey as a makeup remover, simply add coconut oil and a pinch of turmeric powder to it. Use this mixture to massage your face, and then wipe it off. This paste removes your makeup gently and moisturizes your skin at the same time.
# Sunburn treatment
The anti-inflammatory properties of honey make it a potent treatment option for healing sunburnt skin. Its hydrating effect can help soothe the affected skin and aid treatment.
- Mix honey with aloe vera gel in a 1:2 ratio.
- Apply the mixture to your sunburnt skin.
- Rinse it off with cold water after 15–20 minutes.
# Antiaging agent
Honey, being an effective moisturizer, hydrates and softens the skin, consequently reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. This effect is also supplemented by the nourishing and soothing properties honey provides to the skin.
- Mix 1 tbsp of honey with 1 tbsp of yogurt, papaya, or whole milk.
- Apply this antiaging honey mask to your face and massage gently.
- Wash your face with warm water after half an hour and pat it dry.
# Treatment for chapped lips
The UV rays of the sun not only are harmful to your facial skin but also affect your lips. And the frequent use of lipsticks can contribute to lip chapping and dehydration.
- Exfoliate your lips and apply pure honey onto them before bedtime, allowing the honey to be absorbed by your skin overnight.
# Brightening of skin complexion
Honey can aid in fading scars, spots, and blemishes and in soothing itchy skin. Its antioxidant properties also help mitigate the skin damage and tanning caused by free radicals, resulting in an even skin tone and soft skin.
Moreover, its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties help fight harmful microbes and reduce swelling, preserving the integrity of the skin. These properties also provide a natural glow to the skin and some skin-lightening effects.
- Mix 1 tsp of honey with the juice of one tomato.
- Use this mixture to massage your face for 5 minutes.
- Rinse your face with tap water after 15 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy twice a week.