Get Rid Of Whiteheads With These Simple Home Remedies
By: Pinki Sun, 22 Nov 2020 7:16 PM
Whiteheads, also known as closed comedones, are a form of acne caused by skin pores clogged with trapped dirt, sebum and dead skin. They mostly appear on the nose, cheeks, temples and forehead.
They are similar to blackheads but appear as small white or yellow bumps as they form under the surface of closed pores. Blackheads are dark in color due to being exposed to oxygen.
People with overactive sebaceous glands and excess sebum production are more prone to develop whiteheads. This usually happens due to hormonal changes or genetic factors.
Moreover, whiteheads are more common in acne-prone skin because the cells lining the pores are stickier, thereby promoting clogged pores.
# Facial Steam
A facial steam or sauna is one of the best natural treatments for whiteheads. It helps open up the pores and loosens the buildup of dirt, oil and dead skin cells.
- Boil some water in a pan to create steam. Turn off the heat and place your face over the pan while holding a towel over head to trap the steam around your face. Allow the steam to soak into your face for five to eight minutes. Finally, pat dry your skin with a clean towel.
- Alternatively, you can dip a soft, clean towel in warm water, wring out the excess water and place it on your face. Leave it on for a few minutes and then remove it. Repeat the process two or three times in a sitting.
# Baking Soda
Baking soda is good for gentle exfoliation of oil, dirt and dead skin cells from the skin. It also helps maintain the pH balance of the skin.
- Mix a little water in one teaspoon of baking soda to make a thick paste.
- Apply it on the affected area and wash it off after a few minutes.
- Repeat two or three times a week until you are satisfied with the results.
Being slightly abrasive in nature, oatmeal also works as a natural exfoliant to get rid of accumulated dead skin and dirt. In addition, it absorbs excess oil and opens the pores.
- Mix two tablespoons of yogurt, one tablespoon each of lemon juice and honey, and four tablespoons of powdered oatmeal. You can also add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. Dampen your skin and then apply this paste on your face. Leave it on for 20 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Alternatively, apply a simple paste of powdered oatmeal mixed with water. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then scrub it off to exfoliate your skin, minimize pores and reduce blackheads.
# Sugar Scrub
A homemade sugar scrub can work wonders for your skin. It will help exfoliate your skin to remove excess oil and debris trapped in the pores without causing dryness.
- Mix together one tablespoon each of sugar and honey. You can also add a few drops of lemon juice.
- Apply it on your face and gently massage in circular motions.
- Leave it on for a few minutes.
- Wipe it off using a wet washcloth and then wash your face.
- Do this once or twice a week on a regular basis.
# Lemon Juice
Being rich in alpha hydroxy acids, lemon juice helps exfoliate the skin and also facilitates cell regeneration. It also helps get rid of excess oil due to its astringent properties.
- Dip a cotton ball in lemon juice and apply the juice on your face.
- Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes and then wash your face with cold water.
- Do this daily before going to bed. Continue for at least a few months.
# Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar works like an astringent and thus removes excess oil from the skin. Plus, it has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that help fight acne.
- Mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in one cup of water. Apply this solution on your face using a cotton ball. Leave it on for about 10 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
- Another option is to mix one part apple cider vinegar with three parts cornstarch. Spread it on your face. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes before scrubbing it off. Clean your face with a washcloth soaked in warm water. Follow with a cold water rinse to close the pores.
# Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil can be used as a natural astringent to reduce oiliness and get rid of whiteheads. Due to its antibacterial properties, tea tree oil will also fight acne.
- Dip a cotton swab in water and put three or four drops of tea tree oil on it.
- Dab it on the affected area.
- Leave it on at least for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with cool water.
- Do this twice daily until you see improvement.